Tuesday 28 January 2020

#29 - a wretch like me











29th January, 2020
29
a wretch like me


I keep a box of faraway
for long ago

where you have me
that’s where I keep

call brightness by letters
and numbers, a guess

who was I once when we were so
or half of me at least?

whom I never met or saw
this picture of you when

always another side of the family
someone disowned, forgot

so many stories till the truth
a secret tells itself

my eye a window open
requires another colour

the unforgiveable – cross to bear
to dance is all the body

imagine – touch and touch
you’re there

a little box of faraway
and where we’ll keep

is it for good – voices
never heard, languages unknown

names pile up for the dead
now forget them

like stars then measure for time
we go back a long way

all those tribes no longer wishing
and just the one was me  

who was I once when we were so?
look in the mirror, wonder

how love makes foolish too
tobacco tin or biscuit

old trunk of the voyage in rust
it only took a generation

for nation to betray
there was no imagining

pogroms – call them something else
but someone got away

that’s when you were with me
thousands of years we were

in the book and out of it
burden of each soil

a wretch like me, bright shining
and someone in a muddy trench

someone up against a wall
imagine the funny accents

what dangerous strangers we must have been
and then the not remembering

telling so much but not, escape
with this skin or leave it behind?

I saw the rabbit again
the rabbit from my mother’s dream

it was her waking end, real as
did she remember her mother’s once?

and so on, back … I sat in her lap
on sunshone steps over the harbour

spun on, the way a fish must swim
and all their silence mine










who was I once when we were so?

look in the mirror, wonder



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.