Monday 27 January 2020

#28 - painting the whole world into a corner (poem for a friend)

28th January, 2020
28
painting whole world into a corner
poem for a friend

I know you’re in a hot place 
frays the nerves

lately I’ve had time to think
what if it all burns down (?)

this is getting to be more than theory
there are big things wrong with this world

I’m disappointed with it too  
its wrong direction, but which one?

it’s true some few of the victims are missed
and we should sing for them too

thanks for the reminder!
I think of the Swabians in Yugoslavia

all that they suffered won’t make Nazis nice
the laughter of boots in blood, smashed bones

and so they sing along, tomorrow belonging
but now we know how this goes

the ripped off feeling, the ‘I’m ignored’
the ‘what about my tribe, skin’

as if justice were the enemy
argument all at me

at a certain age perhaps a feeling
left behind, as all will be

I get it too – I didn’t win the Nobel Prize
they’ll never make me king

a pattern? do you think there could be?
of privilege and lack

you’ve seen both ideas
been given them to live

and love has disappointed you
we disappoint ourselves sometimes

the whole world’s too hot now
I blame myself, don’t you?

it’s all gone wrong – why didn’t I do more?
our cause must be to save the world

it’s simple – you’ve got kids, you can see it
a cliché only gets more true

but bitter mind’s a tangle
it takes perspective down

the ironies of a resentment
drag us a long way under

fear of abstraction for fuel
and we can still wake up

have you no admiration now?
but we have still for you

still Chopin in your paws
a wagon wheel, a coke

some setting alight
and let’s go watch cartoons

what guilty innocents we were
when everything was new!

to advocate for the voiceless
that is a noble thing to do

but never makes the two wrongs right
who is it is not heard? remind me

some dark force whispered in your ear
open your eyes – brush the smoke away

a crime against humanity sits smug in the dock
‘I won’t recognize such a court’

‘not properly constituted’
wake up – you’re smart, you see through that

these little pockets of ‘bad behaviour’
if unfought, indulged

they become a movement, a regime
we’ve seen it and we see it now

this painting the world into a corner
where does it leave us?

no prize for a stairway to heaven these days
still there are some teddy bears

no need to choke on your own vomit
if there’s still some Hendrix in you 





senryu

no need to choke
on your own vomit
if there’s still some Hendrix in you 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.