Tuesday 21 July 2020

A Conversation in Poetry with Ross Donlon


Ross Donlon was born in Ashfield, Sydney. He has performed at festivals and other readings in many parts of Australia and Europe. His books include 'The Blue Dressing Gown other poems', 'Sjovegen - The Sea Road' and Lucidity. His fourth book, 'The Bread Horse' will be published by Flying Islands Press later this year.







ROSS
I'll try to respond but I'm not sure how I think about this -  but I'll try in the time of Covid 19.

My love affair with Norway in particular and Scandinavia in general goes back a long way. I read Ibsen in my teens attracted by the covers in Penguin by Munch. Loved the plays and it was natural for me to love Munch having been drawn to Van Gogh, like most are - all those Van Gogh prints on the walls of my primary school. I also read Sigrid Undset and Knut Hamsun's 'Hunger' - and saw the movie then I think - 'Sult' (Hunger) and read Pan. I was nuts about Ingmar Bergman. You can't watch 'The Seventh Seal' and 'The Virgin Spring' at 17 and not fall over..I think I read some of the sagas then but maybe my memory is making that up. I read them young anyway. Njal's Saga was the first and most memorable. Skarp Hedin!! skidding along the ice to cut someone's legs off.

So I had some innate, underground attraction. Maybe it was a sense of Nordic artistic depression.

My high school poetry reading was selections from the canon but I discovered the Beats myself. Mad about Kerouac, who changed my life.
Through a series of happy accidents, two years or so in PNG and being barred from the UK (not enough landing money) I travelled by train through China and the USSR hard class sleeper. Looking for work in Europe in Hong Kong and getting knock backs until the Norwegian Consul told me oh yes, there's plenty of work in Norway, so I hitched from Helsinki to Oslo via Stockholm and arrived on May 17 to a blaze of flags and happy Norwegians after the friendly but sombre Swedes. People braking hard to give me a lift and I was in Haraldsheim Youth Hostel in no time and stayed there on and off for over two years, along with an apartment and hitching around Europe and boat to Iceland where I was 6 months working at various - cod trawler, fish factory, on the roads. Thirty odd years later a poem came out of that, 'Trawling in the Arctic' - about my father.

I'd written had poems published in The Bulletin in my late teens but then nothing for 33 years. I know because I checked lately. Long story why.

So I always wanted to return to Norway and by another happy accident tripped over Messen about 10 years ago when it was not long starting up. They were probably a bit surprised and charmed that someone from here would apply. So I came for 3 months and met everyone. I hadn't read Olav Hauge until then, but did there and went to his museum in Ulvik, explored the fjord and made friends from other guests and locals, especially of course, Bjorn Otto.

I was reading a lot more poetry by then and was active in the Melbourne scene and festivals. But the effect on my poetry? Put neatly, I guess it's enabled me to write two long sequences of tanka - in 2014  Sjovegen (The Sea Road) 50 tanka for Alvik, which, amazing and happy coincidence and connection once again, became a translation project with the local skule thanks to a teacher, who then go the school, parents, local businesses and the kommune, everyone except the bloody factory, Bjolvefossen (sic?) who wouldn't give her a kroner - and illustrated by the children - and launched on Labor Day, May 1, 2015.
So that was also a kind of gift from me to Messen and Alvik, dedicated to BO. You know I think I've written song lyrics for him and directed a music video. Sweet man.

And last summer I completed another sequence of 50 (cut from 73) called, 'Writing Wild Water' about swimming in the cold, sometimes very cold water of Hardangerfjord. I wanted to know what was in my head 5 years after Sjovegen and it was interesting to see the changes. I'd hoped to

Betweentimes, I wrote 'Midsummer Night' after being there for that night - and it being not at all what I expected. No night, for one! And there was a conversation with BO and a drunk ex sailor and factory worker in the 'pub' about witch burning in Norway in the seventeenth century and why he wasn't a Christian. Some research led to writing 'Midsummer Night' which won the MPU prize that year.

I've otherwise written a rhyming poem about Trolltunga. Fei, a Chinese-American artist made a little video about one of the tanka that mentions Olav Hauge.
And being around visual artists has meant I've made poems from work of Wim, Judith, Simone and Dutch painter, Paul Dikker, one for Felieke and Jan, too.

So yes, I have a lot to be grateful for and I am. I went 8 times, and who knows may go again. The place and the people are very important to me and I made a number of friends from the international artists who I keep close. And of course, you and Carol were there last summer. I'd met you in passing at Carol Jenkins place in Mosman one time and very happily now have a pocketbook coming out with your Flying Islands and all being well you'll visit here and read once the curtain lifts again. Happy co-incidences

This wasn't a conversation, I know, but - hope it will serve for something. How about you? How did you find Messen and come to have Poor Man's Coat (good title) translated and published? You have a happy connection with Wim and Judith, too and she took a number of your poems in translation for the show in Spain with a couple of mine

All good wishes to you and Carol. And yes, I continue to swim. I think I am  about the last one standing and swimming sans wetsuit at the mo. It's 12' about the same in and out tomorrow.






KIT
Well I’m sticking with my wild claim, Ross, that people who swim at 12 degrees are maniacs… you and Joanne were quite the phenomenon in the fjord at Messen last year… I did manage to make it to one minute once as I recall… and, while I’m sure I’m wrong, it definitely feels life threatening to me …

I think this is exactly what I kind of envisaged in terms of conversation… except throw some poems in
… I think you should write up yr wild Nordic youth in a memoir, Ross… maybe haibun style… I wrote my hitchhiking and beetle adventures in a piece of juvenilia in the late seventies punks travels
… but I’ve been revisiting a certain amount of that mind material of late, perhaps as a result of making my way through my dad’s (enormous, unpulblished) autobiography … it’s New Year’s Day, 1939 in Rio … but actually it’s the 2nd of January already because he got so drunk on New Year’s Eve (a dare with a bottle of scotch) that he slept through the whole of the first… it is quite an adventure!

Yr Olav Hauge made me think of the tiny poem I wrote for him in poor man’s coat

Olave Hauge lived
on an acre of apples
and his old age was ripe

it’s interesting that Ålvik/Messen/Hardanger should boast not one but two Australian poet devotees … it’s a good thing our approaches and experiences are so different … I think they complement each other…           

somehow Ålvik/Messen/Hardanger connect me with nature and with cosmic/ontological questions I approach quite differently at home
… I think I put it down largely to walking … walking is so important… homo ambulatio?

But anyway I’m going to kick off my end of the conversation with the poem I wrote for you (!) there last year when we actually were both on site as it were:


1272
a whale’s way

for Ross Donlon

(this one’s for your knees)



mazy trod upwards
in a poet’s June

imagine all that up

gnarl of hoof shone
mountain rooted

leaf green
the berries yet to come 

mist is in us breathing

*

moss on slate
on ice on moss

on hill
on fjord

climb on

we are in the card
in the cloud
in the breeze

it’s never so far up
as we are

come with me
let’s climb

that’s the way
we are gone

*

no one made mountains

but fashioned crude gods
for the sky
from the ice

often to lack imagination

carved also
boats to go

rain
hard
unfeeling
touches

anonymously Norse

*

how many ways the water falls!

have you seen the words blossom on the page
the picture blossom in the words
the story come to life in the picture
?

and all in the mind’s eye

light instances

jewel breath out of the snowstorm
a season folding from

*

pine shook
sparkle in
wool wisp

draw deep down breath
be sea be tree

a wing over
look up

gossip of gull
shine like a face in

this world is ours
if only
never to understand

*

they’re leaning in windows for memory
trees and clouds and

hewn rune sun
polished to hold

before the sail stood
gulls ancient
over fresh hewn oars

backs bent
under the skin of night

stars steady coursing
clouds between

as all have come to image it

*

while I sleep
the ancestors

and you’re the waking ice

kraken snapping at the frozen toes
(birds provide the lice)

*

we can all be mountain, king
troll tunnel out of summer’s blind

keep damp, drip

it was better here when the whale’s way
was the only way to go

*

there are no signs but things themselves
and these are not the words

we are the thing lit
you won’t see
but must have dreamt so far

a sunstrip on the other side

may I be the vanishing man












.

In fact I’ve not worked on any of the material I developed at Messen last year… but I have a feeling is probably better (at least, with work, potentially better) than what’s in the book … but there are many pressing projects between me and it…

.

and yes looking fwd to getting down to Castlemaine later in the year AND I’m quite confident we’ll be able to hold the next annual poets’ picnic here at Markwell in December as per the usual plan… one does worry Trump might start WWIII as a last ditch re-election strategy, but such prospects as that aside…


ROSS
Hi Kit,
and thanks for your friendly and generous reply. And for the poem. I've read it and will again to take it in, Climbing and walking. See Krake attached from a walk with Felieke, Jan and young Felix. I was walking and climbing then no trouble. I had the second complete knee replacement last October, so that's two since I walked with them that day. I like Felieke very much but I like Jan very much. We have some good laughs and once played a mad round of golf at a course in the hills outside Oystese. To say it's a goat track is an insult to goats. I am walking again and playing tennis sort of and will play golf soon as the restrictions lift. They aren't like having 17 y.o. knees but they'll do. No pain.
I was sorry we couldn't have hung out more in Alvik.I thought we might, but you were walking and are close to Wim and Judith. Joanna became my buddy. She was adrift before I arrived so having our two swims a day in the nip was great for us both. I missed her when she left and the month after wasn't much fun, with Monica taking over as a sort of commandant. There was no friction just wearying.  It can be a bit marooning when it's like that. Swimming solo was the best part and having the tamka, and a longish poem in rhyming couplets to work on, The Metaphor Boat. It was published in Ireland in Skylight 47. Island in Australia knocked it back. BO was busy building a garage before the weather changed.

And yes, it is good we both have Messen and no doubt very different paths to get there. And yes, different approaches to writing. I like the idea of our being complimentary. What was yours and Carols discovery of Alvik/ Messen?

Still swimming. We are three sans wetsuits. Today the water was about 11.5'C and air temperature 5'. It's not a 'thing' for me. The science is in as much as the anecdotal. It's good for my mental and physical health. That's it. And useful if you have a buddy, like Joanna. She just said to us all one day, 'Won't anyone skinny dip with me?' So it was very easy. She's an excellent writer too, with her 'Dog Dance'. She's been working with male inmates of a prison since she went back.


I've just finished watching 'Mystery Road' and 'Killing Eve.' I think they're both excellent and the latter genius stuff. I have to track down Series 1 & 2. Terrific characters and beautiful writing.



But here are: Trawling in the Arctic, Midsummer Night and Krake.
Rousing Cheers to you and Carol,


Trawling in the Arctic

Sometimes we trawled with the midnight sun
a gold bullet hole in the horizon,
sometimes in sleet, the cod masked in ice.
Once we trawled in the tail of a cyclone,
the stern under wash, sea slashed
black and white into spray.

You got to the galley by counting waves,
Sliding and crashing across the deck,
and I thought of the seafarer
in the Old English poem,
a peat bog man, offshore in a storm,
caught by cold, raw wind wracking,
ice biting, as he hunted for home.

Still young, I watched a coast creep by
While the ship rode waves like a surfer,
Then rucked my oilskin around my ears
and ran, regardless of wind, spray
and counting.
                        At such times, looking out
from my own tightrope, I trawl for my father
in a ‘Frisco dive, rain ramming, his walk home wet
lit only by neon, and nobody there.

I reflect, like someone watching the sea,
how he waited for ships in the Ferry Hotel,
the irony tolling across the Pacific
to a war wife and son in Sydney,
one barely known, one never seen
as he buffeted life towards death.








KIT
Okay, well I’ll take that as a provocation, Ross …

So here’s a dad poem of mine


my father
(who art in heaven if you like)

Houdini he
managed a complete escape
chased a ball around the world
and almost home again
not quite

he escaped all kinds of things
words stick for years
but he got free

he ran out of his own head
he got away from words
found words

he actually escaped from himself
you can give one away you know

a country
a language
a tribe
a class

vast estates he was freed of
so much history he shook off

my father forgot
who he had to be
he was like Jesus
and did it for me

and he forgot to tell me too
he remembered to forget

comes to me in dreams
he tells me all kinds of stories 

in heaven if you like
there's an art to being there

I’m finding Mystery Road more annoying over time … I enjoyed the first series … but the violence is getting to me … and with Killing Eve the trailers put us off … once again, too much violence… I do love Silent Witness though and lots of Nordic noir, so not claiming any kind of consistency here …




ROSS
In Water on a Still Morning

When I swam in the fjord at seven a.m.
the water was barely breathing
a time between tides
and air so still
you could hear a wave break  – but none did
and quiet – so quiet – not yet deathly quiet, but not life-quiet either
a time between times of life and death
every bird must have thought, ‘Who’ll chirp first?’
But none did

I entered by a way that leads to a rock covered spot
suddenly hit by a spotlight –
an ingénue who found himself on stage
via a side entrance - merely there - clambering down – stripping – wading through low tide weeds
then swimming into life-dead calm
neither aided nor impeded by wash or tide
and so swam what I liked to think was the first stroke
oaring arms and flicking feet
as though there were no water or air - merely space
I moved through it calm and amazed
the first human who ever woke and moved through a morning
then swam on the first day of the world





KIT
Very ‘Fern Hill’, Ross…

Let me reach for some firstness:

aubade

as for the firstness
I think it had a stale shoes smell
or it might have been earth

rain so far it fell as sweat

you'll recognize the ache as day
it's lit to edge

and sometimes stands in stockinged feet
as if another age

spell cast
could otherwise be yet

it lasts till we dissolve in it

keep the fast and the firstness lasts
roll like a ball along

all before the music
but one bird sings to find
and so a chorus comes

some trumpet for a date, a time

come like planets through this
do you think we'll fit into the day?

no rooster ever told so far

keep under a skin, still kissed

then the leaves come all alight
so see how far we are

the firstness was a garden
and sprinkled dust of stars

it lasts till we dissolve in it
has to be dreamt after

.

Can you please send just in the body of an e-mail… our internet is very crappy here and we sometimes have a lot of trouble opening attachments…



ROSS
After

I wake before I should
To quiet in the kitchen
Too many being quiet

All dressed at seven
Mum Nan Aunty Uncle
Cups and saucers ticking

Exposed in cold pyjamas
In being eleven, in being 
An only child once again

The women look away
Ritual drum roll
Before a coming of age

Beater-of-children, Uncle Wid,
The uncle I fear,
Nods me to my bedroom


Sits with me on my bed 
Opens a seam in my head.
Mate, he says, your grandfather is dead.

 I’ll leave you now, he says. And does.
Saving my memory, all that’s gone now -
1956. My room. Flat 4 in Bland Street.


Ashfield. Sydney. The 1950’s
And the decades since, all gone
Through the same empty door





KIT

the true misfortune is the one without witness
poking around at Yad Vashem
  
I think the ones who knew grandfather's end
must have gone with him

my grandfather was spared, in a sense
the names are all laid here
he’s not

no record of a vanishing

I think the ones who knew grandfather's end
must have gone with him

there has to have been a day though
a certain kind of weather
(won’t you imagine the damp –
two great cities are almost a river)

in the right light for a disappearance      
there’s someone at the end of the gun
would never have known grandfather

I never knew him either
the laws of time make sure of that
I would not have been able to pick out the voice
would not have known the words
must guess now

this is the little fire I light

time has a certain weight up close
pools and flows
then you're humbled with here-we-are

one has to have slept through this wrong
through all others

slept through all the days before me
I only ever knew those eyes
from the one picture

I never find his name in the lists

grandfather wanted out of the tribe
or was it his father before him?

for somebody’s sins
they didn't march him far
and the good fairy
was the one we called God

or else you don't say
my lost family –
will you help to see them in my eyes?

do I keep a little fire?

would the dead be speaking
had this not been done to them?

weren’t we always hard of hearing?

and one more trick
did I walk here once?
Ozymandias blown about
am I father to the man?

there had to not be a place
what was left of him was left

my father wished nothing
in the way of mortal remains

was that so the river would take him
as time once took his father?

I never find the one I lost
it mustn't be me who is here





ROSS

Our never having met,
I only ever refer to you as my father,
yet I sometimes wonder what I might have called you
in Louisville, Kentucky, your home, or in Sydney, mine.

And since father has no currency in my class,
forever unused and unsaid, Dad, Pappy, Bill
are words which taste like copper on the tongue.

Even now, what to call out on that continuum
where I follow over seventy years later,
never to meet, never pass by or so it seems,
always in the slipstream of your spell in light,
ever in the wake of that last voyage
and sad ironic end in The Ferry Hotel, in ‘Frisco
where you tried to come back to us or die.

My ship ever in the wake,
is so self-consciously poetic
I smile to think of the recurring symbol
I’ve carried like DNA from my kindergarten locker
(circle sun / trim white sailing boat / rippling blue sea)
into the abyss of tonight.

So I sit writing another ship poem,
pitching into a sea of stars,
hauling and trimming the sail of poetry,
peering from the bow for a man both ghostly
and god-like as the Flying Dutchman.
And I wonder if in eternity, should there be a landfall there
If I will see you waiting with a call and a name for me
I can find some way to return.





KIT
Back to dad again—
ping pong

I remember your remembering
snow from Great War winters
a father’s Austro-Hungarian great coat
presents for the American prisoners
and the first car come, your first typewriter

… you’re gone ten years to my dream,
still cameo regular, a star

you chased a ball around the world
now far off in the heavens

first gone you were in orchard eddies
I remember that quiet time in the morning
– closed door gave God space to imagine you

our superstition has no named community
just puts things in perspective
for instance I think of you when a digital clock
shows me your birth year – then I go back

to time elapsing – what worries me now
may well not tomorrow – I hear you say
‘don’t let the bastards get to you’
in the dreams I never hear your voice

sometimes lately you could be a ghost
can neither confirm nor deny
we talk it through wordlessly

so much I’d like to show – a poem like this!
if I were Chinese I could burn it to you
or there’s a window of clouds here – each shaped
with no less care – is that what it’s like not to be?

ten years and you’re more than a hundred –
good innings even when you’re out –
we’ve still got the ashes – cause well
we don’t know what to do with you, with them

with memory – you fell asleep watching Bradman bat 
in the guests’ box at the MCG – you’d just arrived
and you thought they must have been
‘tuning the instruments’ – ‘play gypsy play’ you’d say
or ‘gone a million’, ‘drongo’, ‘buckley’s’ – I learnt
Australia from you – and that there’s nothing like
the love of a country you’ve chosen for yourself –
that’s courage

what a rock you’ve been for me, these visits
but it’s too many years since your voice

you didn’t want a stone at all
but the army gave you a plaque, without asking

it should be our own words survive because for us,
words are deeds

I think of your war sometimes –
your part for which I’m grateful
not like the wars we make these days
on an oily whim or a lie

a century of snow to see through
you won’t believe it but there are idiots partying
for that mad war where God went missing
‘we’re a nation because we walked into the canons’
‘just following orders’… actually you would believe it

but you’ve got somewhere better to be
following that celluloid ball through the stars
and hey I’m keeping up, I bounce the ball back
tethered to this only planet we the living have

like a meadow walk because the sun says
sleep is that forest I inch in through to be with you

fitting you’re the hermit there – where you go
past everything – better than home but you
have to believe – I’m coming to your conclusions
with God – prayer is the question – God’s there
as long as there’s no answer –
as long as word’s yet to come





ROSS
Winter Poem

Air still as ice
As many leaves on the ground
As in trees, all leeching
Scarlet-Autumn to Winter - White.
When they die and drop,
Gravity still demands a last, fluttering waltz,
So they spiral down,
The smallest of birds.

Two eastern rosellas playmate
Scarlet-blue on skeletal branches,
An aberration in the dark
(An ‘aboration’, I think darkly)
And transform the line of trees
Into grieving angels.

Raven commands a neighbour’s chimney,
Legs braced, wings raised, dressed to kill,
The Bird in Black
Chanting spells fit for apocalypse.

If this poem were a gothic tale
That family would be in lot of trouble later tonight.
A shadow would rap an unpleasant pattern 
On their claw-scratched door, and tomorrow morning
There’ll be four dead leaves on the ghost bark birch
Ready to fall.





KIT
a winter piece
(not quite as cold)        

winter piece

further further
into the dark
and worst foot forward

cling to this line
as a life buoy

foot after foot
won't see through this smoke
and then the fire's cold

rain in earnest then
and it could be forever too

shapes, colours  ­- only memory
and what if morning doesn't come?

then night will be deeper  
into the dark

cursed awake to know
this wind between the ears
all thoughts away

black dream
and down

huddle
naked in it
chilled to bone

the moon goes
and the stars are bung

forever night
as at a pole

darker and darker
you do it yourself

you can wake up dead
from winter

you can do this on a clear blue day

will you cosy up with?

do you think you can eat your way out? 




and another winter one for you, Ross  - this morning’s



passing the shortest day

and bring the things to burn
(empty autumn’s bin scraps)

make hearth breath vastness
first of bright

we set fire to all other seasons
wool up
pull over ears

few fly
but
skate the frozen heights

cold comes through everything now
and settles on us
leafless

stay dreamt

become the blanket
be the dance
stay in
take lowest notes to heart

stare out the fire
it’s full of flowers

and someone lit to tap the window
a little bird called Spring





And one more winter one

pinch and a punch again
a winter middling

when the world finished turning
this is the stillness come to
eyes wide
other seasons expire here

middling months
something ancient in winter

I’m woolly mammoth
beany and tusk it
some think a discontented thing

twitch of the witherbirds
catch kindling, flame
collect the sun

so warm to











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.