Saturday 29 May 2021

#514 - tell centrelink (the world love poetry tour)


30.v.21

514

2.147

tell centrelink 


this thing called employment detracts from my enjoyment

and tightens my diaphragm 

                         -- L’il Abner 


a note from Brian about the world love poetry tour 



this concerns our mutual quest for sincerity 

I love Vivaldi… it always feels like a graduation 


and I have to say

it’s been lovely this much mirth 

a life of advice taken, swallowing pills, bitter best


of course there are things to miss 

like the waiting room with Franz Kafka 

and dole tv -- hearing aids, glasses, all sorts

            that don’t really work 

and for people who can’t afford them


I know it's been a bumpy ride 

and I know you’ve found it hard --

     the stony face, the high bar for compassion 

… so few chances at human, but I could still see a pulse


no one’s qualified for this job 

      one understands this 

and the overqualified 

   (problem soon fixed when the school de-funding’s finished)


there were times when the effort at logic would make gasp 

   but hold it in -- this is an interview!

     grim picture you painted of worklessness too 


the world grows larger and each dollar less 

it’s Zeno’s arrow limps along again 

and what do you say at the checkout 

but 

‘here’s most of it… back on dole day… all I’ve got’


one gets used to the regular confessions

         and robo-shafting

 the coal and iron state requires 


but 

    that job licking the pipes was not for me 

I gave it a red hot go though

with the velvet fist, all that lube


believe me - I get it 

if one is not punished then who will win?

     may nod to show understood


I have however painted a picture of you 

        found a calling  

in fact I considered to join the leisure class

because true vocation is vacation


so -- don’t be alarmed

the body is beautiful 

   even after all this time 


I’m getting my gear off now

      getting everything tuned  

I feel the eloquence coming on 


we’ve read The Unconsoled 

know all about herd immunity 


if the wheel of fortune spun me here 

       it’s time to try my luck 


considered a position as an office plant 

….listening … just listening 

      but too green for that 

you know what Oscar Wilde said?



anyway Brian asked me to give you this note 

       blew a kiss 

said he’s off now for greener pastures 

on his world love poetry tour 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.