Sunday 28 June 2020

#179 - know your country


29.6.20
179
know your country
coming after Kerri Shying

名可名,非常名


read me the ways cannot be told
first up to where we are
(from here and everywhere)

anyone happens in a skin
who told the differences
can’t help

here’s where we happen to
how we’ve come
doomed
or let’s decide to be

first person plural of another tongue
touch
and that’s this me too
                                        
sing out!

all over the shop
and wide brown
bullshit divining the minerals under
goldmine on which we sit

you’d like a word to mean one thing
but that’s not how it works

tell me again
that’s why we’re here

may I know what has been taken?
how can that country still be there?

tell me the names
though the language is lost
and so many creatures
and seasons

see the skill in the stone
and who cast the stars?

over the white-sliced homestead
who fenced the cloven hoof in here?

still it’s love to listen
have a heart

must I not untribe to see?
then who would be me?

come back to place
other ages are in it

what’s more precious than…
the questions
the questions
I call them the under-country

and come to the end of a spear

stolen!
why would you do that?
take a picture and gone?

this is the country you drag through court
bugs the other’s cabinet room
to get the greedy oil
and throw truth out

that’s my right or wrong
salute
take your tableaux
take a bow
be a statue for the country

same old
complicated story

who is it wishing me out of the world?

someone was living in the river once
dust
and the river ran along

but time was here a long way before us

came the clock and pants
trees before people!

keep finding new ways to pinch things
keep finding new things to pinch
and out of thin air

place of my gathering
always a kind of wherever-you-are
but someone was here before

if we belonged it would be different
of course I contradict myself
how else?

still want to be
the mirror in the land
and smoke the ill away
it worsens but we stay

read me the ways cannot be told

respect
for who was here
respect for those who know

country                                                                       
is a kind of club
the bright the dark return

consider the usurping king
whose prayers won’t rise

is your guilt in the right corner yet?
who’s no hypocrite?   show me!

you can cling to the least little raft
nobody ever walked here

call it country
among the series, is it?
nation – first, second, how many?

here’s the thumping state
all lovely in authority
still tribe if you ask me, well armed
and so much secret business

there was no asking was there though
facts are what we accomplish for
and no one will resile
apologize

which way to point your spiral?
here’s the rug out from under

a country of awkward aches and static
how strange the new arrivals

country
something to tell and proud
but please stop saying that word
shows off the chips on the shoulders
like warrior – what the fuck
nobody did that full time
because it was a better world
yes lost and we imagine from bones
and flesh them
say skirmish
say Treaty – make peace!

quit the black and white pretending
what did the Romans do for?
as if there were no gap

the punishments are still inflicted
evolved with careful spite

war’s in the heart
where the facts are denied
but the country can make a clean breast

and so yes there is a side to be on
doomed to be
or let’s stand up

native of
I call on Gondwana, be my witness

all in it together

who’s for the fires till the forest is gone?
who ran the river away?
 I blame, I do
it’s necessary

country wouldn’t know you from Adam
have to coax it back
remember me
once had a skin
so kin

walk with me won’t you?
thin shaky ledge
country of truth
and find it as you fall

I come from my own far story
not even mine to remember
and making it up as I go
important to you as yours to me

on it
in the DNA
and welcome home
a little lost

I know I’m not from here 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.