Friday 5 July 2024

#1648 - when I was an animal



1648

5.187

6.vii.24

when I was an animal

 

I would sniff myself and you

 

light music

wings and breeze and stream

 

I knew the birdwork

would scratch for grub

 

erudite of all up, in

till tricks of mystery kick

 

had nothing but

yet doubt

and dripping with

 

all that tummy rumble too

 

I’d get behind

I’d go ahead

 

some hunger

where fire found me

 

because, you know

 

I saw the sun first cast

heads up, smelt my prey

 

I was all afoot just then

taken where to shine

 

as much in wonder as ever would

 

I was the youngest then

and touch

 

timing perfect

 

means were ends

 

in the dream fog

everything leant

 

warm walking

made such signs

 

say guttural – who knew?

 

I had the call unquestioned

reflected for a sky and swim

 

the leavings of an ache

 

but I could give a warning

love

 

first last

a little dance

just as obscure, unknown

 

bitten, shy

took all as come

 

do my griefs

as great as yours

 

and so it is today

 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.