Friday 29 May 2020

#149 - the battle hymn








30.5.20
149
the battle hymn

America’s burning again
United Sates thereof, I mean

it lightens the heart to have illusions flame up like this
to see what we must see

(Canada’s a cot case, the South is only just catching alight)
the US of A is burning again

‘fine ideals’ or some will say
they set themselves on fire  

no one else would do it
they had to, you did

(don’t know whether to address you or third person drift
… mix match…
frequently I imagine I’m you
wake up in a cold sweat… brackets still open

you’ll get this with melting pot
cup runneth over with flame

always something messianic there going down

it’s always someone else’s America
and here we are again

enough gas and coal to go on forever
but now, in the streets… this fire!

think of it merely as lighting the way
intestinal rumble, a hunger for it
or must have been the masses
but no, none of that, they have none…
the citizens!  look how equal they all are
everyone gets a say

America bays for its own blood
(drunk all the rest)
queue up
you could choke on it

have you seen how the numbers go up?
teeter brink of why-call-it-curve?
you get dizzy
cook crack
come off a high

prohibition’s been such a hit!

would you like a new war with that as a side?
won’t matter which
main thing’s to be there – boots on the ground

pride cometh before the reap-what-you-sow
there’s no more proverbial place on the planet
it’s everything cinema, house is on fire
I wonder if anyone lived here before?

it’s not as if this is a first warning
three strikes?
something mutually assured?
duck cover

have to be first person shooter
that’s me behind trigger in selfie
teeth and the rest so dazzlingly white
live stream it

can’t blame me – I didn’t vote
you can’t make me

streets are on fire
it’s an angry age
blame the Asia – after all these years rising
still want my car

don’t they know who’s
boss tribe in charge?
I do and I’d like a ranch next door

let me be puppy
love to chew on a chain
or set me on some infidel
I’ll bring home the bone

America’s dancing on its own grave
big belly laugh
bingeing again

nobody does this stuff nearly as well
hey, try out this chair – it’s electric!

America! it was you made the Depression great!

self-belief!
and comes with wretched refuse
let them all eat cotton candy
can’t take a trick

the starving all wish up on the ladder
tread on their fingers, and if they fall
it’s televised – you can watch it all go to woe

and now the drowning have climbed on board
each zombie hauls at least the one ghost
e pluribus unum – we took the lot

you did the gunship thing once to prise Japan
so many things come back to haunt
… but not if you don’t take your irony pills

tragedy? or make mine farce?
I love it most when they build a great wall

neighbours say ‘there goes America’
sad complacent nod
they’re used to this sort of thing

remember Ike and the Mausoleum?
think Ray-Gun, Bushes two –
so many practice runs
have to say I do blame Noah Webster

America, you’ve elected Grim Reaper again
except not really – skip college, count the votes

in the catatombs with President Virus
never gets up from the couch except golf
was it childhood?  something since?

let me get the latest firearm
(God, give me this right)
still only so many feet to shoot
well, why not make them dance?
make it another big budget western
high noon saloon swagger

now they’re burying burying burying
and this time it’s your own again
must have a talent for it
get in their way and you go in the ground

it’s breathless there with progress
and you can hear the rust

they’ve put Cretan liar in charge of the truth
things could go either way

Liberty wears Justice’s blindfold
better not look at all

you’re more incarcerated than ever
the facts of the matter are locked up as well
with Julian and Chelsea
and old Joe Hill
my, what long long arms you have
better to be great powerful friend

and shall we say set free?
oh say can you see!

stand on a man’s neck till he’s dead
that’ll show who doesn’t matter

how’s your Mall of America now?
I call that kind of thing kindling

we’re expecting a shake in California
New York’s come down with it’s-not-the-flu

I was in the woods with Thoreau
once FDR and turn on a dime

fire some rockets into space
no one will feel a thing

I, too, have lived in that box
                with the colours
pizza delivered, jazz on demand
I understand the genius   
took the pill to uncrazy a little
been sorry for myself ever since
and sorrier again

let it not be as long as Rome was

you’re like every empire ever
none of the rest of us are

America, when will you ever be worthy
of this decline and fall ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.