Monday 13 April 2020

#105 - in the one day







14.4.20
105
in the one day

here’s what I remember –

lift in the well going down
see dark

cupped hands do
soft volcanic
dig
make archaeology

hear a self before you see

all sorts of things come creature
and some slipped off again

reminding me of a message to send

hey in the daybright
first thingily
with fences over
the chewing too

let sleep have back again, but no
it’s all I have of the dream

for little aches of waking
cow, camel
crossed my eyes, I stretched
sat on an esky that wasn’t there
I salute the risen one

now day before me spread
invisible with doors

it is a vast thing to be crossing
insect over
the continent so

climb desert
make a forest way

afoot about and acre it
so many missing already
with hardly a cynical thought

but lung-full, hill up, April-ing
thought fire, but not yet

bring kindling now, pile up
and under roof where dry

gather the family – wallabeasts
swampies and now the choughs have come
taken over from the kookas’ shift
and bowerbirds still do

in a dragonfly’s ponder hover
iridescence catching
follow

yellow of paper wings
feathers not much

bees bigger than ever now

a garden tinker all there is
first round that was

all in a day’s and I won’t call it work

a wonder that the flightless
have so much to declare

.

in a pocket of the year
the radio throws lost tunes
little news
still
each world so new

everywhere fruit ripening
impression each of a world
windfall if left
or beak it

and always brighter the thing to be

least of creatures – I
who make the mastery
and vanish from it
into words and wishes

.

found by sundry electronic means
and seek a sphere as well

people see in, think too many books
but one never knows where one may go

hopes pin
I’m sorry

twang and burr
imagine a population

woven in verses
with how many blows to the nose
times to itch
?

won’t hear the beat
but take as read
the light of perspiration

.


yoga over
now in the sunshine seat

with Whitman, am I?
no, Czseslaw Milosz
years we’ve sat so
now and coming to conclusion
teaching ever more intense
… poetry has so many heroes!

and now with my father
(over the shoulder shot
grapefruit already coming on)…
crossing the South Atlantic
1938 – becalmed for a time
in a Japanese ship
for the sake of ping pong
all on the brink
and fooled by a female impersonator
but all the crew were too –
familiar face, bet hinged upon

.

a beckoning of sunshine
and must not sit too long
now out again – day’s in full bloom

still morning
and I was creating a new version
one heretofore and yet unknown

the years of ever after here
with rainbow gold to pot

sun washed my clothes, baked bread
it ripened

I hung to dry or took the breeze
you’ll have day as it comes

with yonder cloud
so lovely light
and fluffed and stretched and gone

.

oh dear – I am late
though have no rabbit wrist to wrestle time
and how the heart beats past and till
and when it’s still
who’ll know?

(a foolish speculation that –
like who made all of this ?
and what can they possibly have been thinking?)

come chosen to the moment so
lap at the thing
be grateful, glad
and if to no one
spread it then!

enough nostalgia
…on with the list
perhaps I will call it
‘nest of distraction/s’
that will be provisional –
day needs a working title

.

go on with
tongue out or cupped hand to collect
often it was sunshone

uncloud, mosquitoes
hence or die
or I could spray myself

check water in buckets
spread round

all the while
time was hammering tune
fashioning words to fix

how the head hums
with it’s just having come
and this far, with its direction

and now too hot the eye of heaven –
infallible sign of Lunch  

the clock tells this much more
how the world was walled up so
when this round could have been mere mirror

and pick up strings

see how they’re ripening

which I, outshone with all the day
am given here to praise

.

and now the welcome back to sack
though not what you are thinking

in the novel flight to doom
by carriage of course
Dickensian because it’s Dickens

there’s another story where Queensland
split into nice and nastier parts
(everything’s relative)

.

I will not tell of love now
though in the offing always

a gentleman will never do it

yet let us cuddle close and know
the flesh perfections

a certain soporific lull
postprandial, subside

find dream where left
and leave again
such secrets as where under lie

.

and Rip Van Winkle me
I woke

So Chabrier, leapt up
(the Slavic Dance, Reluctant King)  

thrown like paint, drawn fine

pumpkins aplenty
lantana to do
let us not speak of privet

.

only then was it considered doing my tax
but wasn’t I coughing up already?
all sorts they wouldn’t count?

so all adrift and afternoon-ing
caught the cat’s pyjamas, cream
and came to the one more life

how full day’s pockets always are
and on with the treasure hunt

an edit?
perhaps a co-translation?
arvening idiom recast?

as deep in the day as light allows
anoint crepuscular

will I then say the kitchen’s calling?
fridge full enough for choice

discoveries of substance
of alcohol
all in a day’s attentions

and crave your inattention too
no one reads so far

.

they speak of better worlds to go
these fools of someone else’s dream

and have the stairs for up
trees too
please look with me
won’t you?

and take another turn around?

.

having become a force of nature
all along I knew

clear crop of stars
for long ago
thanks for the light now cast

not enough to see by
and that’s why we look to the turning
and all the old tales told

.

that hole in the sand
dug ages back

can I squeeze in
hide there
when they come?

must be the ancestral dream
passed down
from
what’s my name?

and all along I knew
there never was the time to be here

only way out of my head
with this song is
write another one

take it day at a time

among my branches birds ignore
the every supplicating call

scratched initials in the paint
saw them
already there



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.